Sunday, March 31, 2002

Over a week since the last entry and I had planned to be good but work is a drain. There's still so much left to do shooting the Show House and now it's just available evenings after 4 and till 12 on Sundays. Of course I have to get a lot of it done before the 12th so film can be sent to Florida Design. I'm a zombie but the money's going to be good (paying off MBNA) so I guess I'm a Zombie Whore....

Well I was cleaning off the desk this morning and actually found the first coherent Mr. Fong apperance so since I promised it so long ago here it is:



This was in a questioniare that Jay (the managing editor) had made up for new hires so we could get to know them and they could get to know us. I need to do question 2 to set up #3 which has Mr. Fongs:


#2 Situation: Your 72 Renault needs a new transmission after you panicked and accidentally threw the car into reverse when the brakes failed. On top of that, your bike has been stolen, the cat needs fixing and you're trying to save for either elective surgery or an eco-adventure in Dominica ( you haven't decided which). Tough times demand tough choices, so you've decided to cut back on magazine subscriptions. Which magazines from your previous answer would be the first and last to go, and why?


Okay, the transmission's shot, bike's gone, cat's broken and I'm using the eco tour as a cover for a covert operation: now I have to cut my magazine reading ( where's the ecsape from reality?). Well the first to go would be one of the Mac magazines, while you do need to see if that 4 mouse app is really Freak'n Awsum, the two are redundant at times. Wallpaper would be next because when you have money the models look at you invitingly but without it they laugh at you from the hot tub in their immaculently furnished Swiss chalet. PDN is paid for by work AND since I still have my job (RIGHT?) I won't give that up. Hobby Japan would be the last to go because it's one of the few titles I can't read and can't read it on line or in a bookstore and by now the transmission is paid for.


#3 Why in 2001 would you still be driving a '72 Renault?


Why a '72 renault? that's a question I have been asking myself for some time. I still remember the day, it had been raining all week, my bike had been stolen. (but some how you already knew that) I wanted Dim Sum so I grabbed my coat and headed out into the rain, I walked the street for what seemed like hours looting for Mister Fong's, Yeah I was a regular ther but I always had to get lost to find it. Mister Fong said 'coming for dim sum should be like a zen koan.' He was always saying things like that and carring the hot wok with his forearms. Go Figure. Finnaly I saw the alley, making my way around the puddles I finally reached the door. I stood there in the doorway shaking the rain from my jacket. Mister Fong, behind the counter, saw me and asked 'How's the weather out there?' I knew this joke but let the old man have his fun. "It's raining cats and dogs out there. Fong started to laugh as he replied 'then it's a good thing I'm not allergic.' I sat at my usual table and started playing with my chopsticks while I waited for the cart, that's when I saw her. The rain had stopped for a moment and a single beam of silver sunlight bounced down the alley reflected off the city's new trash truck parked up the way while the driver got Krispy Kremes. She was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. The embodiment of all the dragon ladies in those Charlie Chan mysteries I had watched on Saturday moring television. Her long black hair glistened in the silver sunlight, as she removed her sunglasses I was trapped instantly in her jade green eyes. After an eternity she glided across the floor to the counter picked up her order put down a stack of papers and just as quickly walked out. Suddenly the sky broke and rain once again felll. Mister Fong seeing I was caught in a vision, shuffled over to my tableand put down one of those flyers this vision of beauty had left on his counter. I quzzically looked at his knowing face, he just pointed and I read. "Classic Renault Get Together This Weekend" and there was her picture standing next to a '72 Renault. That's how this whole mess started...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home