Wednesday, March 13, 2002

Today I was flipping thru PDN (Photo District News) and came across a piece on this guy I knew in college. Malcolm Lightner, he's teaching at SVA. It was a more about the class it's a business type class for Freshmen, contact lists pounding the pavement, pricing stuff I wish I knew then and really wish I knew now. Usually when I come across people in PDN I get a little depressed because it's not me, I thought I was better than so and so. But when I saw Malcolm's name I was happy for him I didn't know him that well but he is very talented and was always very driven. The one class I had with him I secretly competed with him. He was the person I set to be as good as if not better.

That's alot of my problem is that I need someone to compete against, some one I respect and value their respect. I think that's why I felt more challenged in Savannah there were people I respected their talent and wanted to be that good at something, while people also respected me and what I could bring to the table. There was more of a give and take not just a "here's some more pictures just like the other ones". I need some one to look at what I do and go that's good but I can do it better and so can you and then the battle ensues. I know I should get more involved in the arts here but I don't. I haven't produced a non commercial image in over 5 years and it's been even longer for a series. Once I wanted to go to Grad school but now I don't know anymore.

I didn't want this to be a downer entry I just wanted to say I was happy for Malcolm and wish him the best...Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home